By Eloise Horsfield
FOR many it was painful to watch – but The Only Way of Essex’s Marbella special has triggered a promising surge in holiday bookings.
Tour operator Lowcostholidays.com reported an enormous 1,942 per cent increase in searches for trips to Marbella during ITV’s one-hour transmission of The Only Way is Marbs on June 13.
And since then, bookings are up by 166 per cent.
The show did not fail to impress it fans, with sun, sand and bare flesh aplenty – and even a marriage proposal.
Mario Falcone popped the big question to Lucy Mecklenburgh on a yacht peppered with roses – obviously having forgiven her for cheating on him with Mark Wright during last year’s Marbella trip.
“Like it or loathe it, TOWIE has led to a massive increase in stag and hen dos in Marbella,” said Giles Brown, editor of Marbella’s Hot magazine.
“Although the funny thing is, you often see tourists dressed up to the nines tottering around the fishing port, looking bewildered after mistaking it for the glamour of Puerto Banus,” he added.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10