- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Smoking falls following workplace ban in Spain
• Smoking bans leads to five per cent drop in workforce smokers while consumption also falls
A BAN on smoking in the workplace has led to a five per cent drop in the number of workers who light up in Spain, according to a study.
Researchers analysed the tobacco consumption of 413,473 workers of all ages and occupations between July 1, 2009 and June 30, 2011.
The study – by Madrid-based Ibermutuamur Prevention Society – found the number of smokers dropped from 40 to 35 per cent, while tobacco consumption in those who continued to smoke also fell.
“The results suggest that the enforcement of the law has accompanied a progressive reduction in the percentage of smokers and the consumption among the working population,” said Ibermutuamar researcher, Carlos Catalina-Romero.
The findings come at a time when Spain is attempting to relax the ban on smoking in casinos and amusement arcades in an effort to support the struggling gambling industry.
The government is pressuring the health department to reform the law as it looks to boost tax revenue to help Spain’s economy.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced in November his intention to review the smoking legislation, with the ban considered the main reason for the drop in gaming income.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…