SEVEN people have been arrested after several Spanish football clubs were duped by conmen masquerading as wealthy Arab investors.
The elaborate scam involved ‘fake sheiks’ who posed as investors from Egypt and Dubai.
The alleged fraudsters managed to hustle several Spanish football clubs out of sizeable investments – with Getafe hardest hit among them.
In one scheme, they paid a Brazilian waiter to pose as an affluent Arab sheik for meetings with the clubs.
But the operation, based in Barcelona, began to unravel when Getafe realised cheques issued by the presumed Arab sheiks – totalling a hefty €10 million and intended to ‘buy’ the club – were found to bounce.
Unfortunately this was after the clubs had paid large sums of money to the fake sheiks, who insisted they needed it in order to set up the investment.
By the time the clubs realised they were being scammed, the swindlers had already made their exit.
Catalan regional police have since arrested seven people, six from Spain and one from the Dominican Republic.
It is not clear exactly how much money Getafe or the other clubs lost.
The Dubai government claims it had no knowledge of the sham deals.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10