- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Spain’s small businesses feel the brunt of the recession
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SMALL businesses in Andalucia are buckling under the strain of Spain’s recession.
Over 80% of the region’s companies have three employees or less, with many relying on the dwindling tourism industry.
It is tiny businesses like these that are most likely to suffer from the economic slump.
“Tourism right now is a disaster, said Juan Zabala Franco, who sells horse and cart rides along the Guadalquivir River.
“There was an explosion of money as the banks lent to everyone, and now we are paying for that,” added the 44-year-old, who said one of the main problems is the fact many tourists now come to Spain on package tours where everything is included.
“They don’t have a budget for anything else,” he said.
But there is some good news.
Despite the dire state of Andalucia’s economy – with over 30% living below the poverty line and one in three jobless – it has the lowest debt-per-person ratio in Spain, mainly because its population is so large.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]