SHEIKH Abdullah Al Thani has reportedly put Malaga FC up for sale.
The debt ridden club is being swamped by rumours over its ownership after Spanish radio station Cadena Cope revealed the Qatari Sheikh had held talks with multi-millionaire Rezart Taci, head of the Albanian petrol group Taci Oil, to sell the club.
The decision comes as a surprise for many who had touted the Sheikh as a saviour of the Costa del Sol after he purchased Malaga FC two years ago, and announced plans for a new €400 million marina at La Bajadilla in Marbella.
Now many fear that his other projects on the Costa del Sol could also be at risk.
And the Mayor of Marbella, Angeles Munoz, is allegedly talking to the Ministry of the Environment to try and ensure the marina project goes ahead.
However, Malaga FC has denied Al-Thani has pulled the plug on his investment.
A statement on the club’s website read: “Malaga Football Club has started a process of internal restructuring within the organisation to adapt to the standards of financial fair play and with the intention of guaranteeing the self-sufficiency and sustainability of the organisation.
“This process doesn’t mean the current owners have refused any type of investment.
“This will involve some changes in the current organisational entity of the club and will make the organisation stronger in the future.”
It follows an unsettling summer for the club with several senior players reporting the club for unpaid wages and other clubs claiming that payments for previous player transfers have not been met.
Meanwhile Fernando Hierro has confirmed his departure from the post of General Director and Malaga and Arsenal have agreed the transfer of midfielder Santi Cazorla at €15 million.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46