THOUSANDS of people have been evacuated from their homes as a huge forest fire rages on the Costa del Sol.
Around 4,000 people have been evacuated from around Ojen and eight urbanisations in Marbella after a fire broke out in the Sierra Negra area of Coin on Thursday afternoon and continued to burn through the night.
Overnight the fire, which was made worse by strong hot winds, spread rapidly through a 12km coastal strip packed with holiday homes and hotels.
Parts of the A7 motorway have been closed.
Two people have been seriously injured and were taken to the Costa del Sol Hospital in the early hours of the morning.
One of them has burns to 50% of their body.
Meanwhile 13 airborne fire fighting planes were brought in on Thursday afternoon from Malaga, Cordoba and Granada to tackle the blaze which has destroyed 1,000 hectares of forest around Barranco Blanco, between Mijas Costa and Coin.
350 firefighters returned to the scene this morning as the fire continues out of control.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46