- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Spanish ‘superjudge’ works to save Assange from extradition
• Jurist Garzon says he will prove that Assange is innocent of sexual misconduct
SPANISH jurist Baltasar Garzon is working on a plan to allow Julian Assange to be questioned in Sweden without risking extradition to the US.
Assange, founder of Wikileaks, remains in London’s Ecuadorian embassy, where he has been since gaining asylum in June.
The Australian is wanted in the Sweden over sexual misconduct allegations.
He is likely to be arrested if he steps foot outside the embassy.
Former ‘superjudge’ Garzon has dismissed claims made by UK foreign secretary William Hague that Sweden will not send Assange to the US if his human rights are likely to be breached there.
“Assange would be prepared to go to Sweden today if he received a guarantee that he won’t be subject to an extradition process to the United States over Wikileaks,” said Garzon.
“It is as simple as that.
“We can prove no criminal act has been committed and that the sexual misconduct allegations are inconsistent,” he added.
Garzon said he now intends to make a request to the US to ask whether any case is open against Wikileaks or Assange.
“I can tell you that they won’t reply. If they do, terrific – we want to show that the US is hiding what is happening to Julian Assange.”
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…