By Eloise Horsfield
A ‘PROVOCATIVE’ change has been made to the name of a road honouring a prominent Republican figure following a petition from local residents.
Over 500 people supported the move to change ‘Avenida de Dolores Ibarruri’ back to its previous name.
Ibarruri, better known as La Pasionaria, was one of the first members of Spain’s Communist Party when it formed in 1921.
Most famous for her ‘No Pasaran!’ slogan created during the Battle of Madrid in 1937, she dedicated her life to left-wing politics, campaigning for workers’ rights and editing the Communist Party’s newspaper.
A thorn in the side of the Franco regime, Ibarruri was exiled at the end of the Civil War until 1977 but continued her work from Paris and Moscow, and was even invited to move to Cuba by Fidel Castro.
In 2006, Velez Malaga’s Town Hall – then ruled by the left-wing Izquierda Unida – dedicated the road to the heroine, who died in 1989.
But now, the road is to be reverted back to its old name, Camino Viejo de Malaga, after over 500 locals signed a petition.
The IU, who said the decision stinks of ‘provocation and revenge’, questioned why the town still has a road and football pitch named after Franco’s military judge Rodrigo Vivar Tellez who ordered several executions.
Velez Malaga mayor Francisco Delgado Bonilla replied: “It is not a matter of vengeance like the IU is suggesting.”
“All we’re doing is complying with regulations that state if you have 500 signatures asking for a change, we have to comply with that request.”
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10