A BRITISH schoolgirl who absconded from the UK with her teacher could now be in Spain.
Megan Stammers, 15, was last seen on Thursday boarding a ferry from Dover to Calais with 30-year-old maths teacher Jeremy Forrest.
Last night Britain’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) made contact with their Madrid counterparts to help them with the search.
“SOCA contacted us and asked us to investigate if the missing schoolgirl and her teacher are in Spain,” said a spokesman.
“We have been asked to see if we can locate them here.”
Spain’s Policia Nacional have since confirmed they are assisting with the hunt for the pair.
In France, where the age of consent is 15, the authorities decided to not look for the pair as their relationship is not against the law there.
Stammers and Forrest, pupil and teacher at Bishops Bell School in Eastbourne, fled after Sussex Police they were having a relationship and seized Stammers’ phone.
Forrest, from Lewes in Sussex, has been described as vulnerable by family, with his father saying he is not ‘violent or evil’.
“We have been worried about him for some time and noticed him going further downhill,” he said.
“He’d been in a bad state for a long time.”
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10