By Gemma Wilson
ONE of the best ways to enjoy Mijas’s charms is via a free walking tour.
These tours take place every Saturday from September to May and showcase some of the beautiful rural areas that can be found around Mijas.
The tours, organised by the Mijas Foreigners Department, one of the oldest in Andalucia, are designed for the whole family and the rural guides speak English.
For an interesting way to see the pueblo meanwhile and conserve your legs, why not take a donkey taxi?
Parked outside the tourist office, visitors have the option of riding the donkey themselves or taking the donkey-cart taxi.
This is a great way to see some of the historical sights of the village as well as stopping off at the many shops throughout Mijas housing locally made jewellery, pottery and paintings by local artists.
Why not head for a free flamenco show, which takes place in the Plaza Virgen de la Pena on Wednesdays at noon.
The flamenco show is performed by the dance company ‘Artes Cordobes’ and is a great opportunity to witness the traditional Spanish dance.
Another great attraction is the bullring. Opened in 1900 it’s still in use today hosting both bullfights and horse displays but also serving as a museum.
Matador costumes are housed in glass displays with plaques lining the entrance to the ring displaying the details of the different fights that have taken place.
For a perfect way to end the day head to the Municipal Auditorium where plays, concerts and films are regularly hosted.
With most of the events targeted toward the local audience it’s a great way to immerse yourself in local culture and language.
For more information contact the Mijas tourism office on 952 58 90 34
- Spanish Mirador bosses sentenced to two years in prison - 29 Oct, 2012 @ 08:30
- Woman searching for cousin on Costa del Sol - 26 Oct, 2012 @ 16:05
- Spanish test driver recalls UK crash ordeal - 25 Oct, 2012 @ 08:00
- The hiking trails of Mijas - 24 Oct, 2012 @ 09:30
- Estepona hospital plan back on the go - 21 Oct, 2012 @ 15:38
- Spanish scientists to explore Saturn moon - 21 Oct, 2012 @ 08:16
- Things that go bump in the night: Spanish ghosts and ghouls - 20 Oct, 2012 @ 11:53
- Spectacular Sayalonga - 18 Oct, 2012 @ 09:30
- British man found dead in Spain after yacht capsizes - 16 Oct, 2012 @ 14:19
- What your egg says about you - 14 Oct, 2012 @ 17:00