By Eloise Horsfield
THERE were calm scenes in Sabinillas this morning as hundreds of people gathered to collect free food parcels in a giveaway organised by the town hall.
The food, donated by the European Agricultural Guarantee Fund, is being handed out each morning until next Tuesday (November 20) at a warehouse behind Lidl supermarket.
Local residents who have proven they are in financial difficulty were grateful for the chance to pick up milk, fruit juice, tomate frito, rice, lentils, biscuits, fruit and beans.
“There was a big crowd, and lots of traffic,” said bystander Jane Jewson, who was heading to work in Casares.
“People had brought big recycling bags and empty shopping trolleys and were getting ready to fill them.
“It was a happy atmosphere with nobody crowding or pushing, and people were being respectful and patient.
“It was quite heartwarming really. I said to one lady, ‘You look so happy!’ and she said ‘I am, I am really happy’.”
The food will come as welcome relief for local residents who are finding it hard to make ends meet.
There are currently more than 1.7 million families in Spain without not one member working, according to figures from the National Statistic Institute.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10