- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Leading Hispanist criticises new book on Spanish Civil War
• David Boyd Haycock is the author of I am Spain
A NEW book about Spain’s International Brigades has been described as ‘totally wrong’ by a leading British Hispanist.
I am Spain by David Boyd Haycock presents tales of non-Spaniards such as Ernest Hemingway and George Orwell, who travelled to Spain to help fight Fascism.
Through their personal letters, diaries and memoirs, the Oxford-educated historian hopes to bring the experiences of these ‘passionate men and women’ to life.
But in a damning review published in the Daily Mail, Hispanist Paul Preston describes the factual inaccuracies of the work.
“Boyd Haycock has little sense of a wider context and even less respect for factual accuracy,” said Preston, a Franco biographer and Civil War expert.
“Time after time, the eye for a good quote overcomes the need for accuracy.
“Boyd Haycock proves yet again that where the Spanish Civil War is concerned, the first casualty is truth,” he added.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others