- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Leading Hispanist criticises new book on Spanish Civil War
• David Boyd Haycock is the author of I am Spain
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A NEW book about Spain’s International Brigades has been described as ‘totally wrong’ by a leading British Hispanist.
I am Spain by David Boyd Haycock presents tales of non-Spaniards such as Ernest Hemingway and George Orwell, who travelled to Spain to help fight Fascism.
Through their personal letters, diaries and memoirs, the Oxford-educated historian hopes to bring the experiences of these ‘passionate men and women’ to life.
But in a damning review published in the Daily Mail, Hispanist Paul Preston describes the factual inaccuracies of the work.
“Boyd Haycock has little sense of a wider context and even less respect for factual accuracy,” said Preston, a Franco biographer and Civil War expert.
“Time after time, the eye for a good quote overcomes the need for accuracy.
“Boyd Haycock proves yet again that where the Spanish Civil War is concerned, the first casualty is truth,” he added.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]