- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Spanish terror suspect arrested in Britain
• Raul Angel Fuentes Villota
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A SPANISH terror suspect who has spent 17 years on the run has been arrested in Britain.
The Spanish Interior Ministry confirmed that Raul Angel Fuentes Villota, an alleged member of Basque terrorist group Eta, has been detained in Liverpool.
Villota, originally from Bilbao, has been wanted since 1995 and is believed to be linked to several murders in Spain.
The Spaniard was jailed in 1991 for attempting to plant a bomb on a police officer’s car.
After serving four years in prison, Villota failed to appear in court, sparking a warrant for his arrest.
“Merseyside Police has arrested a 56-year-old Spanish national who was wanted in connection with historic terrorism offences in Spain in 1991.
“”He has been detained and Merseyside Police is liaising with the Spanish Embassy in relation to his extradition,” said a police spokesman.
A statement from the Interior Ministry said the suspect has been living in the UK with false documents and was ‘waiting for instructions’ from the Eta.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]