EXCLUSIVE by Eloise Horsfield
A BRITISH expat has put his century-long life down to the Spanish sunshine and a few tots of brandy per day.
Harry Allen, who reached 100 this week – was delighted to receive a card from Buckingham Palace wishing him a happy birthday.
“He was absolutely thrilled to bits,” said son-in-law Rodney Harnett who looks after Harry with his wife Gloria, Harry’s daughter, at their home in Riviera del Sol, Mijas.
Harry was born on November 18 1912 and was one of seven brothers born in St Austell in Cornwall.
“He does the crossword every day and is a keen follower of football. He enjoys very much Spanish brandy and drinks a few tots a day, and has benefitted from the lovely weather here in Mijas Costa.
“He is marvellous,” added Rodney, pictured below with Harry and Gloria. “He is well known in the locality and much loved.”
Buckingham Palace had managed to get the card to Harry’s Spanish address by contacting his daughter-in-law in the UK, and the card arrived promptly two days before the big day.
“They’re very efficient,” said Rodney.
Statistics show that only 0.7% of those born in 1912 will live to 100, compared to 30% of those born this year.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10