FOR all you fair weather gardeners I suppose you can sit at home and watch it continue to rain and complain that the weeds are growing.
As a commercial grower we have more than just a problem with weeds.
Here in Velez-Malaga we have had 230mm of rain since the weather broke on September 27 and we are now struggling to get new crops planted and the present crops harvested.
Our customers in the UK expect a continuous supply of perfect product from early October until the end of June.
Failure to supply is a severe loss of brownie points.
In the following months articles I will give you an insight into life as a UK supermarket supplier!
My advice for you veggie growers is to be patient until the weather improves and then get stuck in.
At this time of year you can say that nearly all the types of vegetables and some soft fruit can be planted.
Look around and learn from the local growers and get a feel for the do’s and do nots.
For instance DO NOT IGNORE FUNGICIDES as the present wet weather will cause severe plant losses with mildew and botrytis.
As we move indoors and leave the barbies and al fresco dining behind, protect your terrace furniture with weatherproof covers; a selection of which can be found at Garden La Palma.
As this paper goes to print our star plant of the month will begin to show its colours.
The poinsetia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) with its strongly coloured leaves adorns many places from roundabouts to hotel receptions and local bars.
As producers of poinsetia we make plants available in all their different guises.
Christmas is just around the corner so order your Christmas tree now.
We will be taking delivery of trees at the beginning of December and we should have a selection to suit all tastes.
At home we prefer the species that do not drop their needles and tend to be more bushy.
Lastly on a more lighter note;if at any time any one would like to see behind the scenes and experience some of our commercial operation ask for me in the Garden centre and a visit can be arranged.
Until next month just keep pressing your olives.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36