- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
People smuggling crackdown in Spain and the UK
• Raids were carried out in Alicante, Madrid, London and Hull
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A MAJOR investigation to crack down on gangs smuggling into the UK via Spain has resulted in the arrests of 19 people.
The UK Border Agency and the Guardia Civil made the arrests as part of Operation MARLO following raids on addresses in Alicante, Madrid, London and Hull.
Those arrested were suspected of assisting Iranian migrants to reach the UK from mainland Europe.
The gang is said to have been contacted by up to 100 potential customers per month and was charging clients up to €18,000 each.
Simon Cooper, from the UK Border Agency covering Spain, said: “Spain is becoming a hard place for organised immigration crime to operate and criminals now know that they will be disrupted and brought to justice.”
Anyone with information about immigration crime can pass it on via Crimestoppers at http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]