- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Iberia strikes could spell chaos for travellers at Christmas
• Iberia Airlines
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SIX days of strikes just before Christmas could cause travel chaos for thousands of people hoping to get home or away.
Unions representing workers at the Spanish airline, Iberia, have announced they will stage the strikes immediately before the Christmas holidays in protest against the company’s plans to lay off 4,500 staff.
Ground staff and cabin crew are set to go on strike on December 14 and from December 17 to 21.
Francisco Rodriguez, from Spain’s largest workers’ union, the UGT, said the strikes were to protest against the ‘unnecessary layoffs’.
International Airlines Group, the merged British Airways andIberia, plans to cut 23% of the Spanish company’s staff and claims the carrier is ‘in a fight for survival’.
The pilots’ union, SEPLA, is not among the six unions backing the strike.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]