- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Gibraltar chief holds talks with David Cameron
December 6, 2012 at
1:00 pm • LAST EDITED:
December 31, 2012 at
Gibraltar • 6 Comments
• Chief Minister Fabian Picardo met David Cameron at Downing Street
GIBRALTAR’S chief minister has met British Prime Minister David Cameron after being summoned for talks at Downing Street.
Fabian Picardo, the first chief minister in decades to receive such a request, discussed the ongoing dispute with Spain over the Rock’s territorial waters.
The pair also talked about the impact a proposed point of consumption tax will have on Gibraltar’s gaming industry.
Cameron is fully aware of the ongoing spat over sovereignty and showed his support for Gibraltar during a speech before the Council of Europe in January, stating: “I have a very clear point of view, and we are in favour of self-determination.”
The UK also issued a strongly worded statement on the issue of Gibraltar’s sovereignty at the United Nations General Assembly in September.
“The United Kingdom restates its long-standing commitment to the people of Gibraltar that it will never enter into arrangements under which the people of Gibraltar would pass under the sovereignty of another state against their wishes.”
The meeting at No. 10 was scheduled as part of a gathering of the Joint Ministerial Council of the UK Overseas Territories.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…