- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Gay MP marries in Spain
• Ian Hunter with his new husband, Leith Semmers
A GAY marriage that made history has taken place in Spain.
South Australian social inclusion minister, Ian Hunter, tied the knot to long-term partner, Leith Semmers, at a ceremony in the town of Jun, in Granada.
He is the first gay Australian MP to marry while in office.
The pair had planned to marry in the US last year but issues over paperwork forced the change.
The ceremony took place on December 20.
Mr Hunter said he was disappointed his marriage would not be recognised in Australia but comforted by the fact more than 60 per cent of Australians support marriage equality.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others