By Frances Leate
SEAVIEW rooms that look out over skips and bins, filthy water in the swimming pool and insects in the dinner…
It sounds more like the hotel from hell comparable to Fawlty Towers, not a four star hotel being offered to tourists by a reputable travel agent. But these are just some of the things that scores of hapless holidaymakers experienced during their 2007 and 2008 stay at the Beach Club Hotel, in Torremolinos.
The nightmare holidays at the hotel, which has now been dubbed ‘the worst hotel in Spain’, forced tour operator and Thomson’s parent company, TUI UK Ltd, agreeing to a €252,978 payout days before a court battle involving 69 guests. The guests say they suffered violent sickness, with some ending up in hospital and still suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome five years later.
Susan Ray, 65, from Darlington, Co Durham, still suffers bowel illness diverticulitis after being struck down with diarrhoea and vomiting.
She said: “The hotel wasn’t very clean. The holiday was a disaster and I won’t ever go back.”
The action was brought by legal firm Irwin Mitchell on behalf of the guests, who each received up to €18,400.
Gurpinder Chana, a specialist travel lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said: “This trauma has had a major effect on the lives of some of our clients, as they are still suffering with bowel conditions.
“The complaints we received suggested that that there were serious and unacceptable food hygiene issues at the hotel.
“We also received general complaints about the cleanliness of the hotel and the lack of support from staff.
“Our clients decided to take on the tour operators and because of their determination and commitment, justice has been done.”
The payoff follows a €3.8 million compensation deal made in 2008 to 1,000 Brits who stayed at the hotel.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33