- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Sixth of all electricity connections are fraudulent in Spain
• New measures to stop electricity fraud
ELECTRICITY fraud is on the rise because of the recession, with nearly a sixth of all connections fraudulent.
Following 53,000 inspections last year, Iberdrola reported that 8,000 connections were found to be fraudulent.
This is an increase of 2,000 on the previous year.
All 8,000 connections were customers who had registered an excessively low consumption, but who were stealing considerably more.
They included nightclubs, pubs and building sites.
Iberdrola, which has fined all fraudulent users, has now introduced a new remote meter system which detects any sudden or suspicious changes in electricity supply.
A company spokesman said: “When a user steals energy, they are hurting all other consumers as they are increasing the cost of electricity for everyone.”
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…