- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Pet transport between Spain and UK under scrutiny
• Pet dog, Wasabi, died during transportation with Pet Taxi
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
By Frances Leate
CALLS for a change in legislation have been made following a series of horrifying pet deaths during transportation between Spain and the UK.
Pet courier business, Animal Express has joined forces with the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and Britain’s Road Haulage Association (RHA) in a bid to set up a trade association that will improve current legislation.
It comes after the Olive Press reported on the sad death of pet dog Wasabi last summer.
The pug died from heat exhaustion while in the care of Torre del Mar-based company, Pet Taxi. Seven other pets also on the journey were handed over to the RSPCA once they arrived in the UK.
Animal Express owner Dan Coughlan, who has worked in the freight business for more than 20 years, said: “The existing ‘other species’ rules that currently cover dog and cat transport are wholly inadequate.
“Certain companies are actively ignoring legislation such as the five to one rule, which states there must be one person present for every five animals.
“We need to make sure all companies are following the rules.”
DEFRA has now asked expats in Spain to check all pet transport companies follow the correct procedures.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]