- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Spanish politicians call for better relations with Gibraltar
• Spain's foreign minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SPANISH politicians have urged the government to improve relations with Gibraltar after claiming the relationship has deteriorated under Mariano Rajoy.
PSOE party members have tabled a motion in the Andalucian parliament urging Madrid to restart trilateral talks between the UK, Spain and Gibraltar.
They claim the current breakdown in talks and ill-feeling over the issue of sovereignty is having a negative effect on Spanish nationals working on the Rock.
“The Spanish Government concentrates all its efforts on highlighting everything that sets us apart from the Gibraltarians, rather than valuing everything that unites us,” the motion states.
It follows recent comments by Spain’s foreign minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo (above) in which he refused to hold talks with Gibraltar’s government.
“Cooperation and dialogue are good as long as they are done on dignified and equitable terms,” said Garcia-Margallo.
“On sovereignty issues, Spain and the United Kingdom do the talking. On other issues, Madrid and London also do the talking, if that is considered convenient.”
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]