By Dr Raymond Prats
Visit your doctor regularly – As we age, it is an unfortunate reality that our risk factors for many diseases increase.
In many cases, early detection can make a critical difference in your prognosis.
Exercise regularly – For many health conditions, regular exercise can reduce your risk factors. Pensioners should engage in 20 to 30 minutes per day of physical activity.
Eat well – Foods that are low in saturated fats are best in order to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. It is best to avoid red meat and fatty dairy. Instead, choose lean cuts of meat and vegetable proteins.
Quit smoking – Smoking greatly increases your risk for various cancers and heart diseases.
Have your cholesterol tested – Having your cholesterol checked can help to reduce your risk of heart disease. Determining if you have high cholesterol can be critical in assessing your risk for heart disease.
Have an annual mammogram – Women over the age of 40 should have a mammogram every year and pensioners should continue this approach.
Colorectal cancer screening – Men and women over the age of 50 should have annual fecal-occult blood tests. Depending on your specific risk factors, your doctor may order these preventative health care procedures more frequently.
Diabetes screening – Adults should be screened for diabetes after age 45 and this will continue once they become pensioners.
Have your blood pressure tested – High blood pressure is a risk factor for heart disease, stroke, and hypertension and should be regularly checked by your doctor.
For more information visit www.simplecarehealthplan.com
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36