- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Gin sales surge in Spain
• Gordon's Gin
By Kathryn Richardson
A SPANISH drinks giant is ploughing more investment into its gin brands after a massive upturn in sales.
Diageo, who own the Gordon’s and Tanqueray brands, is taking advantage of a rush of sales in the spirit.
Spain and the UK are among the biggest buyers of gin, despite both countries being in a recession.
The company believes the return of retro gin-based cocktails such as the French 75, found particularly in Madrid and London, helped boost sales.
According to Diageo’s global category director for vodka, gin and rum, Ed Pilkington, Spain’s gin market grew 20% last year, despite the county hitting record unemployment figures.
Research group, Nielson, also reported UK sales up at 12% in pubs, bars and restaurants, and 5% in off-licences and supermarkets.
As a result of this, superbrand Diageo is now pledging a £1m marketing campaign which will see the company launch a collection of flavoured gins next month, including Crisp Cucumber.
Supported by Bartenders, Diageo will also re-launch a limited edition of its popular Tanqueray Malacca.
Of the exciting increase in sales, Mr Pilkington said: “What we’re really excited about is it’s growing in parts of the rest of the world as well.”
He added that the company hopes it’s more expensive, premium versions, will spread to regions such as Latin America.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Police make two record drug hauls in one week…