- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Same sex couples to get legal recognition in Gibraltar
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A VARIETY of new rights and benefits for gay couples in Gibraltar are soon to become law.
The Gibraltar government has drafted new legislation on civil partnerships which will see same sex couples have legal rights related to tax, pension and property.
The Minister for Equality, Samantha Sacramento, said: “This is a landmark piece of legislation which will uphold the principle of equal treatment of citizens by the state under the law.
“There are already cases where the Gibraltar courts have ruled that applicants for housing must have equal treatment regardless of their sexual orientation.”
She added: “The Government is pleased to have progressed this matter through the drafting stage and will soon be ready to move to publication stage.”
The landmark legislation reflects the policy of the Government that same sex or common law couples should not be discriminated against because of the nature of the family unit that they have formed.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]