- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Councillor jobs to be cut
February 21, 2013
• LAST EDITED:
March 22, 2013
Andalucia • 4 Comments
• Local government reform bill discussions
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A MASSIVE swathe of political cuts will see over 50,000 councillors lose their jobs.
In the popular move finance minister Cristobel Montoro said that the number of full-time local councillors will be reduced from 68,000 to just 12,000.
It is estimated the move could save some €7 billion over the next three years.
Under the draft bill, city mayors will also have their wages capped at €10,000 while town mayors with less than 1,000 occupants will cease to be paid.
In a further move full-time city councillors will be reduced by 2015 in line with the population size.
The bill is included in the Local Government Reform and has been referred to the Council of State.
It comes as it emerged that a large percentage of the population believed councillors were corrupt.
Spain meanwhile has recently hit a record number of 5.97 million unemployed.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]