IT seems the recession has even hit Hollywood royalty as Javier Bardem’s family restaurant has been forced to close its doors.
Madrid’s La Bardemcilla is shutting down ‘after two years of prolonged losses’, according to a statement put out by the 44-year-old actor and husband of Penelope Cruz.
‘Like many small businesses, including many small firms in this country that no one rescues, La Bardemcilla is closing its doors,’ added the statement.
Eleven workers are set to lose their jobs when the restaurant, which is situated in the capital’s Chueca district, finally shuts up shop.
It comes just months after Bardem suggested that the country’s high unemployment figures actually ‘suited the government’.
Rafael Hernando, a deputy in the Popular Party, responded by labelling the Skyfall star ‘a great villain’.
The family’s other restaurant, in the Santa Ana area of Madrid, will remain open.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36