- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Pope gets shirty
• Rajoy presented Pope Francis with a Spain football shirt signed by the players
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
PRIME Minister Rajoy tried to win Pope Francis’ heart through the beautiful game when the pair met last week.
Rajoy, along with his wife Elvira Balboa, presented Francis with a Spain shirt signed by all the players during a meeting at the Apostolic Palace.
Perhaps feeling the strain of his job back home, Rajoy told the pope when parting ways: “This has made me extremely happy, we were in need of it.”
Francis, who has been pope since March 13, is a lifelong fan of Argentinian team San Lorenzo and even became a member of the official supporters club in 2008.
Italy’s national side have now invited Argentina to play a friendly this summer with the hope that the footy-mad pope may be in the stands.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]