PARENTS in the Estepona area are being urged to be extra vigilant, following what appear to have been several attempted child abductions.
Grandmother Stephanie Rawlings was left shaken after she saw two men lurking around her car while her granddaughter was inside. Rawlings had left six-year-old Katie locked in the vehicle for only a few minutes while she used the ATM at the Sabadell bank in Estepona.
When she turned back to check on her granddaughter she noticed a small man crouched by the rear car door close to the child.
She said: “I got into the car as quickly as possible and locked us in but when I tried to reverse another huge man appeared and tried to block my exit.
“I kept reversing with my hand flat on the horn making as much noise as I could.”
As she was driving away, Rawlings saw the two men jump into the same car and head off together.
“I was so shaken I couldn’t contain myself, it’s just unbelievable that anyone would do this,” the grandmother said.
She has now reported the incident to the local police, but does not believe much is being done.
One of the men is described as thin with hollow eyes and greasy long hair, while the other is tall, of a heavy build with a shaved head and wearing dark clothing.
The car the men drove was an old maroon Peugeot 205. The grandmother, who lives in Estepona, insists she has heard of other similar incidents reported in the past few weeks, also involving children left unattended in vehicles.
“One mother I spoke to left her eight-year-old son in her locked car outside Lidl at Laguna Village.
“When she got out after ten minutes these two men were there and trying to encourage her son to open the door.
“I heard about another case outside a nursery in the town as well. They are supposed to be starting a campaign.”
Although Rawlings reported her experience to the local police, she believes they are not taking the incident seriously.
“I just want to warn other parents out there,” she added.
“I’ve occasionally left my granddaughter alone in the car for a few minutes but it’s something I’ll never do again.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33