A BRITISH man is lucky to be alive following an explosion that sent him flying through the wall of his Torrevieja flat.
Daran Cooper hit the pavement below his first-floor apartment after a can of insecticide exploded in his hand.
He had been preparing a meal to celebrate his 48th birthday while his partner Carmen was trying to kill a cockroach with some bug spray.
Cooper took hold of the can, which then exploded, catapulting him out into the street.
Speaking from Torrevieja Hospital, Daran said: “I started spraying at the cockroach, and some of the gas must have got into the washing machine.
“A moment later, there was the click of the wash cycle, followed by an almighty bang as I flew through where the wall used to be.
“There was glass and all kinds of stuff in the air, but miraculously I stayed conscious all the time, and all I could think of was that I had to protect my head.”
The explosion totally ripped out the wall of the flat, but Carmen escaped unharmed and the couple’s five-year-old son Sebastian remained safely tucked up in bed.
Daran suffered a broken wrist, bruising and head wounds, as well as an elbow injury which required surgery.
Investigators initially believed the blast had been caused by a gas leak. However, fire crew sources have suggested the bug spray may have reacted in some way with nearby domestic appliances to spark the explosion.
- EXCLUSIVE: Family found dead in Mijas were killed ‘up to two days apart’ - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 23:13
- Costa del Sol journalist faces new sex charges - 26 Jun, 2013 @ 11:00
- Messi in tax mess - 26 Jun, 2013 @ 09:00
- Millions of moths descend on Madrid - 25 Jun, 2013 @ 09:30
- Newborn baby rescued from drain in Alicante - 24 Jun, 2013 @ 13:59
- ‘Syria jihadist suspects’ arrested in Ceuta - 21 Jun, 2013 @ 10:32
- Spanish economy making ‘strong progress’ - 20 Jun, 2013 @ 13:15
- VIDEO: Man tackles runaway bull on Malaga street - 19 Jun, 2013 @ 11:57
- Austerity measures putting Spaniards’ lives at risk - 18 Jun, 2013 @ 11:46
- Rabies returns to Spain - 17 Jun, 2013 @ 14:02