- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Mayor goes on a hunger strike after town’s water supply dries up
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A MAYOR went on a hunger strike after his town’s water supply dried up for the eighth year in a row.
Victor Castillo, mayor of Valle de Abdalajis, is furious that damage to the town’s aquifers by train company Adif has still not been overcome.
The protest however only lasted for a day after the infrastructure group stepped in promising to at least pay to have water brought to the town through the summer months.
Each year the small municipality of 2,800 people has to pay hundreds of thousands to bring water in by lorry.
Last year it cost €380,000 to bring in enough potable water.
“We are a small town and our reserves simply cannot support these costs,” insisted the mayor.
“This year, I was not prepared to let it happen again.”
The water supply has been damaged ever since 2005, when the construction of a tunnel for the AVE train from Cordoba to Malaga hit the town’s main aquifer.
But while Adif agreed to promised to repair the damage and compensate the town, some clauses have been ignored.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]