- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
America’s Spanish cooking pioneer dies
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SPANISH cookery guru Penelope Casas has died aged 70 following a battle with leukemia.
The Greek-American writer from Queens was championed for introducing the US to continental Spanish cuisine, and its distinctly different flavour to Mexican and South American counterparts.
Casas wrote many influential books over a career spanning more than 20 years, including The Foods and Wines of Spain which is now in its 12th edition, and La Cocina de Mama: The Great Home Cooking of Spain.
She majored in Spanish literature, and met her Spanish husband, Dr Luis Casas, during a semester in Madrid in the early 1960s.
The pair spent their evenings tapas bar hopping, and later he would collaborate with her on her books.
Casas was awarded the National Gastronomy Prize in 1983 by the Spanish government, recognition of her role as a herald of the Spanish cooking tradition in the US.
Her last book, 1000 Spanish Recipes, was completed shortly before her death and will be published in 2014.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]