- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Record bad debt plagues Spanish banks
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
BAD bank loans reached a record high in June as the Spanish economy remained mired in recession, according to Bank of Spain data.
Bad debt, mainly in the form of defaulting property loans, now accounts for 11.4% of the country´s total credit; an increase of 0.4% from May and the highest level since November 2012.
There was a slight drop in the bad debt ratio at the end of last year following the launch of the so called “bad bank” which is to swallow up large amounts of toxic real estate that had brought down several Spanish banks.
The institution takes on building plots and unfinished developments, and is expected to sell the stock at a profit within the next 15 years.
Loans and arrears rose once again at the start of the year, however, dampening Spanish bank earnings in the first half of the year, although a number have reported a slow down in the rate of increase in the second quarter.
Despite the news, many economists do believe the country is over the worst and could return to growth later this year.
Is the end in sight? Let us know what you think in the comments below.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]