THERE is still tension on the border and this week it has taken a turn for the worse.
Gibraltarian plated cars are being targeted by vandals. There have been numerous reports of cars having their bodywork scratched by keys and screwdrivers when parked in La Linea and in the worst incidences, two cars were set ablaze.
Gail Francis-Tiron, whose Land Rover was completely gutted by fire, urged people to remain calm, “Please, no more hatred,” she said. “I just want people be very careful when they park in La Linea.”
The attacks certainly seem to have had an effect on the hundreds of workers who normally park close to the frontier at La Linea and walk across the border. Normally you would spot dozens of Gibraltar plated cars in the parking spaces, which are rarely patrolled.
But after the blazes, the numbers have dropped, as the queues to get into Gibraltar stretched back miles and both Gibraltarians and Spaniards grew increasingly agitated.
As British warships continue to manouver off the Rock, and the stalemate between Madrid and London continues, Gibraltar threatens to be an incendiary flashpoint at the end of a long, hot summer.
- VIDEO: Nightmare returns for illegal homeowners in Spain as Junta once again demolishes foreigners homes - 16 Oct, 2013 @ 08:00
- VIDEO: Two British-owned homes have been demolished in Spain and two more will come down this week - 15 Oct, 2013 @ 11:44
- Spanish name for Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez’s baby boy - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 12:13
- VIDEO: Metropolitan Police release new e-fits in connection with Maddie McCann disappearance - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 10:23
- Louis Vuitton collaborates with Spanish illustrator to create new shopping app ads - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 17:50
- Hilarious holiday complaints revealed by travel company - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 14:16
- Have Enrique Iglesias and Anna Kournikova broken up? - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 08:09
- Protesters strip naked to make a point against animal cruelty - 12 Oct, 2013 @ 14:11
- Spanish doctor ordered to pay up for mis-diagnosis of Wolf Man - 11 Oct, 2013 @ 06:00
- Three netball teams join to raise money for Macmillan Cancer - 9 Oct, 2013 @ 11:27