- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Gibraltar plated cars are being vandalised in Spain
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
THERE is still tension on the border and this week it has taken a turn for the worse.
Gibraltarian plated cars are being targeted by vandals. There have been numerous reports of cars having their bodywork scratched by keys and screwdrivers when parked in La Linea and in the worst incidences, two cars were set ablaze.
Gail Francis-Tiron, whose Land Rover was completely gutted by fire, urged people to remain calm, “Please, no more hatred,” she said. “I just want people be very careful when they park in La Linea.”
The attacks certainly seem to have had an effect on the hundreds of workers who normally park close to the frontier at La Linea and walk across the border. Normally you would spot dozens of Gibraltar plated cars in the parking spaces, which are rarely patrolled.
But after the blazes, the numbers have dropped, as the queues to get into Gibraltar stretched back miles and both Gibraltarians and Spaniards grew increasingly agitated.
As British warships continue to manouver off the Rock, and the stalemate between Madrid and London continues, Gibraltar threatens to be an incendiary flashpoint at the end of a long, hot summer.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]