SATURDAY saw Marbella Rugby Club’s first team take on visitors Granada in a pre-season friendly at home at the Bahia stadium.
The visitors were made up of a number of semi-professional players and were two leagues higher than the home team, though as the game proceeded, it was clear that the tenacity and commitment of the almost new and novice Marbella side would pay off.
It was 25 minutes before the visitors finally broke through after some brilliant defending from MRC, and by half time the score was still only 15-0.
The second half brought about some bruising encounters, with total commitment in the scrums and tenacious full on contact tackling, Granada dug out another three scores more with MRC countering with one Penalty kick. Then, towards the end, a break away run saw winger Agosto sprint some 85 metres to score the try everyone had waited for and the home team deserved.
The day was very hot with temperatures of 34c, but the most amazing factor was that Granada had brought a squad of some 30 players and as a friendly, had rotated then throughout the match to keep a fresh team on, while MRC had used only 18 players in total for the whole game.
Final score for the home team against the Granada team was a respectable 10-31, but the score did not mirror the teams persistence and professionalism, it was a great experience for all the team and a great platform for the coming season which now looks very promising.
Next game programmed for 12 October.
- If you would like more information on playing, sponsoring, supporting or getting involved with this great Rugby club, contact Club Secretary Sarah King on 692 061 982 or Seniors coach Allan Davies on 672 137 547. MRC play at the Bahia stadium. Take the first right turning on the A7 going East after the Torre Real junction just before the Costa Del Sol Hospital.
- VIDEO: Nightmare returns for illegal homeowners in Spain as Junta once again demolishes foreigners homes - 16 Oct, 2013 @ 08:00
- VIDEO: Two British-owned homes have been demolished in Spain and two more will come down this week - 15 Oct, 2013 @ 11:44
- Spanish name for Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez’s baby boy - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 12:13
- VIDEO: Metropolitan Police release new e-fits in connection with Maddie McCann disappearance - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 10:23
- Louis Vuitton collaborates with Spanish illustrator to create new shopping app ads - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 17:50
- Hilarious holiday complaints revealed by travel company - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 14:16
- Have Enrique Iglesias and Anna Kournikova broken up? - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 08:09
- Protesters strip naked to make a point against animal cruelty - 12 Oct, 2013 @ 14:11
- Spanish doctor ordered to pay up for mis-diagnosis of Wolf Man - 11 Oct, 2013 @ 06:00
- Three netball teams join to raise money for Macmillan Cancer - 9 Oct, 2013 @ 11:27