THE UK’s largest shopping centre owner is to acquire one of Spain’s biggest retail spaces in a deal worth a cool €165 million.
Intu Properties, along with the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board, has agreed to purchase the Parque Principado, a 75,000 square foot shopping centre in the northern town of Oviedo in Asturias.
Intu’s chief executive, David Fischel, said: “The opportunity to acquire Parque Prinicpado, a top 10 centre in Spain firmly establishes our presence on the ground in a country where we see considerable growth opportunities.”
The shopping centre, which opened in 2001, boasts 156 retail units, a 12 screen cinema and 20 restaurants. In 2012 it attracted nine million visitors.
Intu Properties, whose portfolio includes the Lakeside Shopping Centre in Essex, has also revealed it could launch a real estate investment trust for its Spanish holdings, suggesting it is confident the country offers attractive investment prospects over the longer term.
It’s been a big week for investment in Spain, with Santander announcing it was to make its first domestic investment since the onset of the credit crisis in 2008.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40