THE evidence against Mike Souter was “crushing” and in terms of proving his innocence he has “fallen short by a million miles” the prosecutor has told Norwich Crown Court.
Souter denies 19 sex attacks on seven boys and nine counts of making and possessing indecent images of under-18s.
In his closing speech Andrew Shaw said the journalist was obsessed with young boys, particularly those in uniform, and his “perverted and deviant sexual practices” were “inextricably linked” with the charges he was facing.
He said he had spent many days in the witness box “furiously rowing against the tide”, but when he came to proving his innocence he had fallen short by a million miles.”
Shaw added: “He was a dominant predator seeking to cajole young teenage boys into his world, a serial child abuser.”
Throughout the trial Mr Souter has denied being attracted to young boys and said none of the alleged incidents happened.
Defence barrister Andrew Hill said the prosecutor was a fantastic story teller but much of it was fantasy.
His cross-examination of Mr Souter had focused on his character and sexuality, and attacked his lifestyle, said Mr Hill.
“My client was publically humiliated in this court” he said “At times he was not the best of witnesses. He was argumentative, fearing the trick question.”
Be he said to the jury: “Do not simply write off the defendant.”
Mr Hill said there had been collusion between a number of alleged victims and their delay in coming forward was significant.
The judge is summing up the case today.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40