PRIMARK received more than 21,000 applications for the 125 jobs it advertised for its new Costa del Sol store.
The low cost retailer has just opened in the Miramar Centre, Fuengirola, its second store in the region.
The volume of applications is a reflection on the continuing high level of unemployment in the country.
The number of jobless rose once again in October, following a brief respite thanks to seasonal contracts in the tourism sector, the latest figures show.
A total 4,81 million are now out of work, an increase of 87,028 on the previous month according to the Labour Ministry.
Unemployment had dropped from 26,3% to 25,98% over the summer months.
The annual figures offer slightly more reason for cheer, showing a decline of 0,46%, or a 37,340 reduction in the number of jobless Spaniards.
It’s not all doom and gloom, find out here which sector is enjoying a renaissance.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40