TWO former stakeholders in Ibiza’s iconic Cafe del Mar have hit out at a recently-opened Sydney branch, accusing the proprietors of trademark infringement.
Carlos Andrea and Pepe Les wrote on Facebook that the Australian venture ´has nothing to do with our iconic Cafe del Mar brand´
They said: “People behind this venture are taking advantage of trademark name registration made in bad faith several years ago.”
But an Australian Cafe del Mar director, Alex Daniel, said the venue was “entirely legitimate”.
He claimed that he, and fellow director John Zappia, bought the rights from Cafe Del Mar founder Ramon Guiral in 2008 – two years before Mr Guiral allegedly cut ties with Mr Andrea and Mr Les – and says he has the legal paperwork to prove it.
Cafe del Mar Ibiza opened in 1980 and is known for its sunsets and its annual “chillout” music compilations. A Marbella venue opened in June this year.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40