By Morris Bishop
ZARZEULA – you may well ask ‘what on earth is that’?
It was only because we knew the group from past performances, that we ventured into the realms of traditional Spanish Operetta.
We hadn’t the remotest idea what to expect, but on the basis that the voices and the music were going to be more important than the story, we attended the Teatro de Ingenio in San Pedro de Alcantara on 22 November to find out what it was all about.
We had researched Zarzeula a little, and found that it was akin to the operettas of Gilbert and Sullivan, and of the French Opera-Comique, with a mixture of both dramatic and comical songs intertwined with a spoken recitative all accompanied by instrumentalists. What’s not to like!
The performance was given by Maria Rosa Perez Diaz (mezzo), Isabel Canas (soprano) and Fernando Luigi Marques (tenor) accompanied by Juan Jesus Peralta at the piano, who also gave accomplished solo performances of Danza Espanole from the opera La Vida Breve (Life is Short) by Manuel de Falla and Dance Andaluza by Enreque Granados.
The first half consisted of romantic and dramatic songs, and the second half was devoted to comedy. The acting ability of all the artists was put to the test, such that we gained more than a smattering of what was going on. It would have helped however, had we had a synopsis for each of the songs in English. But really, one attends Italian, German, and French operas for the shear enjoyment of the music and the singing, so why not Spanish?
The group have a Christmas Concert at the same venue on 21 December – and for more information ring Rosa on 606962563. If you would like to be on their email list send a note to me, Morris Bishop – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33