AN incredible 2500 cases of domestic violence have been dealt with in Mijas so far this year.
On a daily basis the equality department receives a shocking eight telephone calls a day from concerned women.
There are also a total of 200 active protection orders currently being enforced in the area.
The number of complaints by British women has also increased this year.
The statistics are not unique for Mijas. Domestic violence has become a pandemic in Spain, with a shocking 700 woman killed so far this year by their partners.
The number of women killed by their partners has increased by 46 % over the last three years.
Globally, one in three women is subject to sexual violence during her life.
Figures released by the UN on its international day for the elimination of violence against women also revealed as many as one in four men in some parts of the world have committed rape.
- Skyfall! - 3 Jan, 2014 @ 11:32
- Free-range foie gras - 31 Dec, 2013 @ 10:30
- Careless talk costs car driver - 31 Dec, 2013 @ 08:30
- Nothing to grouse about! - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 18:30
- Guess who’s coming to dinner? - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 14:30
- OLIVE PRESS APPEAL: Surfing and salvation - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 10:57
- Fruit flop - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 10:30
- Spain is a sex-pot hotspot - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 08:30
- A tale of pain and passion in the palace - 29 Dec, 2013 @ 15:30
- Watching the birdies! - 29 Dec, 2013 @ 14:30