SPANISH is the most important language for Brits to learn, according to the British Council.
It topped the list of those deemed ´most economically vital to learn, followed by Arabic and French.
The study, Languages of the Future also revealed 75% of Britons cannot speak any of the languages listed in the study.
John Worne, director of strategy at the British Council said the UK stands to lose out economically and culturally if it doesn´t act to tackle the shortfall.
He said: “Schools have their job to do but it’s also a problem of complacency, confidence and culture – which policy makers, businesses, parents and everyone else in the UK can help to fix.”
Italian, Mandarin, German, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish and Japanese also featured in its top 10.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40