SEVILLA FC boss Jose Maria del Nido has been jailed for seven years for his role in the embezzlement of public funds in Marbella.
Del Nido was originally sentenced to seven and a half years after an initial trial in 2011, but after an appeal the case went to the Supreme Court, which handed down the slightly reduced prison term.
Del Nido, who was a lawyer in Marbella between 1999 and 2003, was among several people found guilty in the Minutas case for their involvement in a corruption ring that diverted public funds from Marbella town hall.
He has since resigned. “I apologise to Sevilla,” he wrote on the team’s website. “Today I leave with regret, with a deep sadness and with humility.”
- Skyfall! - 3 Jan, 2014 @ 11:32
- Free-range foie gras - 31 Dec, 2013 @ 10:30
- Careless talk costs car driver - 31 Dec, 2013 @ 08:30
- Nothing to grouse about! - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 18:30
- Guess who’s coming to dinner? - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 14:30
- OLIVE PRESS APPEAL: Surfing and salvation - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 10:57
- Fruit flop - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 10:30
- Spain is a sex-pot hotspot - 30 Dec, 2013 @ 08:30
- A tale of pain and passion in the palace - 29 Dec, 2013 @ 15:30
- Watching the birdies! - 29 Dec, 2013 @ 14:30