- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SPANISH electricity bills are among the highest in Europe – leaving some four million families struggling to pay.
Bills have risen around 60% between 2006 and now and Spaniards fork out more than all but Cypriots and the Irish.
The government blames poor regulation, which has resulted in a huge deficit for the electricity companies and the heavy subsidies to promote renewables, including high feed-in tariffs to power generators.
The Red Cross said around 40% of families who come to the organisation for help, cannot keep their homes warm in winter.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]