LOOKING to get maximum exposure for the launch of his photo exhibition in Malaga, Richard Kern knew exactly what to do.
The American photographer enrolled a few of the subjects of his pictures and dragged them down for an impromptu concert.
While Nick Nolte, Nick Cave and Marilyn Manson were unable to make it, he managed to persuade Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore, New York punk Lydia Lunch and former member of Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds Weasel Walter to play the one-off show.
Moore, who now lectures in poetry at Colorado University, flew in from New York, while Lydia Lunch came down from Barcelona, where she now lives.
The one-hour show ‘Breaking Open the Head’ comprised an hour of mostly noise, screaming from Lunch, and poetry from Moore.
“I am mostly here to bring a bit of noise,” Moore told the Olive Press. “It is great to be back here on the Costa del Sol.
“The last time I was here was over a decade ago and we headed off to Morocco for a few days after performing. It was a breeze.”
Kern himself was overwhelmed with the huge turnout for his first Spanish exhibition ‘Famosas y Desnudas’, at La Termica, with the venue also celebrating its first anniversary.
“It is great to see so many people here,” said the New Yorker, who regular takes photos for GQ and Playboy magazines. “It’s quite a surprise.”
The photographer, who has also made a number of films and had 11 books published, has taken the cover photograph for a number of albums, including Sonic Youth and Marilyn Manson.
“Everything started with the film Blow Up, set in London. The first time I saw gay people, someone smoking a joint and some edgy photographic content,” he said. The show runs until April 11.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00