THE publishers of the Euro Weekly News are due in court in Almeria this morning in a libel case.
The owners of the publication – that claims to be Europe’s leading free newspaper – are seeking damages against journalist Lenox Napier.
Steven and Michel Euesden are also demanding that Napier is sentenced to two years in prison for a series of blog entries claiming they had ‘stolen’ their newspaper off him.
Almeria-based Napier, who runs a website The Entertainer, claimed the couple – a former nightclub owner and double glazing salesman – failed to pay up after a ‘staff buy out’ in the 1990s.
He claimed in interviews that the paper suddenly changed its name without agreement to the Euro Weekly News in 2002.
The Euesdens, from Manchester, had joined the Entertainers’ sales team in the 1990s.
Despite already successfully silencing his section Weeniewatch, about the paper and its owners, the Euesden’s are expected to tell Almeria Penal Court 4 how Napier has consistently libeled them.
The couple famously appeared on the Piers Morgan documentary on Marbella claiming that disgraced former mayor Jesus Gil, a convicted fraudster, was like a ‘Robin Hood’ figure.
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36