REAL MADRID have unveiled a £330m plan to turn the Bernabeu into the greatest stadium on the planet, with the help of a Barcelona fan.
The Spanish football club’s new Santiago Bernabeu stadium will be designed by a group led by a German firm, GMP Architekten, and includes Spanish architects Ribas & Ribas.
Some Real Madrid directors were reportedly unsure about the involvement of Josep Ribas, an architect and a season ticket holder at FC Barcelona.
Work will begin on the redesign at the end of the season, including the addition of a retractable roof, and is hoped to be completed by 2017.
Some of the funding will apparently come from selling the naming rights to the stadium.
Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said: “Our commitment is to continue increasing the heritage of our club, thus gain in economic strength, so we can continue to lead in an environment of increasing competition.
“We believe in a project that will enhance our image, brand and city that we also feel proud of.”
Real Madrid are currently third in La Liga, one point off leaders Barcelona and second placed Atletico Madrid.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44