A PAKISTANI man has been caught purposefully chopping his own fingers off in a massive accident insurance scam, after they were found in a children’s playground.
The man had told hospital staff in Girona that he lost his fingers in a cooking accident, but actually stood to gain more than €122,000 from six accident policies with different insurance companies.
Police were called to a children’s playground a day later, where they found a bloodied knife and chopping board along with two severed fingers.
When they discovered the fingers belonged to the man in hospital, doctors attempted in vain to stitch them back on to his hand but too much time had passed for them to regain mobility.
The question as to how two fingers lost in the kitchen ended up in a playground however led investigators to unearth the huge insurance fraud.
They further discovered he had previously carried out a similar scam, cheating two insurance companies out of €24,000 for injuries to his other hand a year earlier.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44