TWITTER has exploded with a spontaneous anti-racism campaign, as banana-eating footballer Dani Alves slams ‘backward’ Spain.
Now a hero of social media, the Barcelona right-back picked up and ate a banana, thrown by a racist fan during Sunday’s 3-2 win at Villarreal.
Alves, who has lived in Spain for more than a decade, has now denounced the country’s ‘racist’ attitude.
“They sell their country as being first-world, but in some things they are backward,” he said, claiming the supporter should be publicly shamed.
The ‘banana incident’ has sparked outcry among the global sporting community.
Growing numbers of celebrities and athletes are tweeting pictures of themselves eating bananas in solidarity.
Teammate Neymar started the trend, posting a picture of himself and his young son posing with bananas.
Since then, banana photos have flooded Twitter, including fellow Brazilians ‘Hulk’ and ‘Fred’, as well as Argentinian Sergio Aguero and Brazil women’s striker Marta.
Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi joined the spur-of-the-moment anti-racism campaign, sharing a banana with Italian coach Cesare Prandelli.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05